Swimmers and sunlovers are drawn to the excellent surf conditions and soft sand San Diego beaches offer.
The City's reservoirs provide a variety of outdoor activities, such as boating, fishing, and hiking. El Capitan is the only reservoir that allows the use of personal watercraft , such as jetskis. Lake Hodges offeres a unique setting to enjoy Windsurfing.
Swim, splash and play with the Park & Recreation Aquatics Program .
San Diego's miles and miles of publicly owned open space and preserves provide outdoor recreation and scenic beauty.
Recreation centers throughout the City offer a variety of recreational activities.
The City of San Diego Park & Recreation Department operates three municipal golf courses . Torrey Pines, Balboa Park, and Mission Bay Golf Course and Practice Center.
The City of San Diego is proud to host hundreds of special events each year. See this week's Special Events.
Mission Bay Park , the West Coast's largest aquatic park, covers more than 4,000 acres and offers a wide range of recreational activities.
Mission Trails Regional Park encompasses nearly 5,800 acres of both natural and developed recreational areas for hiking and overnight camping.
San Diego Arts and Cultural
- Balboa Park
- Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego
- Spreckels Pipe Organ Pavilion
- San Diego Museums
- San Diego Historic Missions
- Little Italy
San Diego Boat Charters / Tours
- Harbor / Bay Cruises
- Classic Sailing Adventures
- San Diego Harbor Excursion
San Diego Ecology
- San Diego Parks
- Wild Animal Park
- San Diego Zoo
- Scripps Institute of Oceanography
- Mission Trails Park
- Wildlife Marsh (Sweetwater Marsh)
- Mission Bay Park the park consists of all of the bay and most of its shore areas and stretches for miles. There are many park facilities within a short driving distance, each with their own personality.
- La Jolla Children's Pool is a park and beach with the main attraction being the many seals lying on nearby rocks, or on the beach within a few feet from your view! This is a protected marine area for snorkeling, swimming, and scuba diving among the seals. The La Jolla Caves are located nearby. La Jolla is about a 15 minute drive north on Interstate 5.
- Sunset Cliffs is a beautiful scenic area a short drive south with high sheer cliffs.
- Tide Pooling in San Diego is best is at Scripps Pier in La Jolla. Another area can be found before you reach Cabrillo Monument, on the west side. It is best to go a little while before low tide.
- The Ocean! There is fishing, boating, parasailing, photography, whale-watching (in the winter) and so much more. Lie on the sand, walk in the surf, swim, boogie board, surf, and just enjoy!
- Grunion run Grunion are a small silver fish found only along the coast of southern California & northern Baja California. It's quite a site to see thousands of Grunion come out of the water completely to lay their eggs in the wet beach sand on a few nights after the highest tide associated with each full or new moon.
San Diego Guest Services Concierge and Party Planning
- San Diego Convention and Visitors Bureau
- Mission Beach Visitor Center check the papers for concerts, sporting events, contests, promotions, and much more.
- La Jolla Concierge Services
San Diego Music Venues
- House of Blues San Diego
- Cricket Wireless Amphitheater
- Humphreys By The Bay
- Canes Bar and Grill
- Belly Up Tavern
- 4th and B
- The Casbah
San Diego Amusement Parks, Attractions & Places of Interest
- SeaWorld is a 10 minute drive from the beach. It is open at night during the summer.
- Mission Bay Park across Mission Blvd. from Belmont Park there are picnic tables, playgrounds, barbecues, rest rooms, volleyball courts, soft grass, benches, and some cozy spots under palm trees. The park stretches for miles along the bay's calm waters. Summer Daily Fireworks - take place at 9:50 p.m. every night at Sea World. You can look out the back porch toward the bay, or walk or drive closer for a better view. Sea World is open in both the day and evenings during the summer.
- The Boardwalk is 2 3/4 miles from the South Jetty to Crystal Pier. You can walk, jog, roller blade, bike ride, skateboard, and people watch.
- The bay side walk just 5 minutes, across Mission Blvd. to beautiful Mission Bay. You can walk for miles on the sidewalks which hug the bay. Water sports include sailing, swimming, paddle boating, kayaking, jet skiing, motor boating, fishing, and more.
- Belmont Park the historic amusement park has the famous Giant Dipper roller coaster, bungie trampolines, the human gyroscope, Virtual Reality, and other rides and games.
- The Plunge is also in the park. It is a public indoor Olympic size swimming pool. It is located at Mission Blvd. and West Mission Bay Drive on the board walk, about a 15 minute walk south of the beach house.
- Belmont Park and the Big Dipper Rollercoaster
- Crystal Pier just walk north on the board walk from the beach house for about 10 minutes to this historic structure. You get a great view of the surfers from above. And stop at the wonderful little coffee stand before you get to the end - a beautiful viewing spot perched way out in the ocean.
- Cabrillo Monument
- Del Mar Race Track
- Coronado Island
- Maritime Museum
- Old Town
- Seaport Village
- Gaslamp Quarter (downtown)
- Wineries (surrounding area)
- Tijuana, Mexico
- And Much More clothes and jewelry boutiques, pubs, restaurants for all budgets and tastes, ice cream shops, tourist shops, surf shops, rental shops for roller blades and everything else, coffee shops, markets, and many other conveniences.
San Diego Fun Rentals
- Mission Beach Cheap-Rentals Surf and Skate Equipment Rentals
San Diego Sports
- Olympic Training Center
- Holiday Bowl
- San Diego Padres Baseball
- San Diego Chargers Football
San Diego Tours
- San Diego Trolley Tours
- USS Midway
- Whale Watching (winter months)
- Open Cockpit Biplane Rides
- Scenic Helicopter Tours
San Diego Water Sports
- Pacific Surf School
- Seaforth Boat Rentals
- Endless Summer Adventures
- Pacific Beach Surf School
The City of National City offers a variety of facilities to suit your needs. Most are conveniently located in city parks and are easy to find. You may reserve a facility, picnic area, multi-purpose field, or softball/baseball diamond for exclusive use. However, when not reserved, some areas (such as picnic areas and softball diamonds) are available on a first-come, first-served basis. To reserve a facility please call the Community Services Department at (619) 336-4290.
National City Parks are available for use on a first come, first served basis. There are no reservations for tables or special locations. For groups with 100+ participants a "Use of Facility" application must be filed for approval by the Department Director within at least a week prior to the event. For a large-scale event with music, entertainment or food sales, a Temporary Use Permit (TUP) application must be obtained from Neighborhood Services (URL: Page 102), located at City Hall, 1243 National City Boulevard (619) 336-4210
A “Use of Facility” application must be submitted at least two weeks in advance for approval by the Director of Community Services. National City ball fields are rented based on City Council Policy which gives priority use to National City residents. If use of field lights is required, there will be a fee of $20.00 per hour for non-residents or $10.00 per hour for residents. (2 hour minimum)
A “Use of Facility” application must be submitted at least two weeks in advance for approval by the Director of Community Services. Insurance will be required either through using organization insurance, insurance acceptable to the risk manager, or through the purchase of event insurance through the City with a minimum limit of $1,000,000. Please click on the "Field and Facility Rental Information" page for pictures and rental information. For additional information including fees, please contact the Community Services Department (619) 336-4290.
Inflatable jumps are not allowed in National City Parks without an approved “Use of Facility” application and a $1,000,000 insurance requirement. The City of National City requires that the company from whom the inflatable jump is being rented mail or fax a certificate of insurance which states that the City of National City is additionally insured. The application must be completed at least one week in advance for approval. No application will be approved without a mailed or faxed certificate of insurance. There is a $25 processing fee (cash only, no checks) to obtain the required permit.
PLEASE NOTE: Inflatable jumps are only allowed at Las Palmas Park and are limited to three jumps at any one time.
|Camacho Recreation Center & Las Palmas Park
1810 East 22nd Street
1:00p.m. – 10:00p.m. Monday – Thursday
1:00p.m. – 5:00p.m. Friday
9:00a.m. – 6:00p.m. Saturday & Sunday
Closed on all National and City Holidays Hours and programs subject to change without notice
|Casa de Salud Recreation Center
1408 E. Harding Avenue
3:00p.m. – 7:00p.m. Monday – Friday
Closed Saturday, Sunday, and all holidays
|El Toyon Recreation Center, Park, & Sports Facility
2005 E. 4th Street
(619) 472-6486 or (619) 472-6487
2:00p.m. – 5:00p.m. Monday – Friday
Closed weekends and holidays
Various classes and activities scheduled days and evenings
Kimball Park & Recreation Center
Kimball Park Skate Park
|Kimball Senior Center
1221 “D” Avenue
8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Monday – Friday
Closed Saturday and Sunday
Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Center
Paradise Creek Park
Welcome to Community Services
Community Services Counter Hours
Monday – Thursday: 7:00 am – 6:00 pm
Friday: City Offices Closed
FREE Youth (ages 1-18) DENTAL CLINIC Feb. 27th Flyer English (PDF)
FREE Youth (ages 1-18) DENTAL CLINIC Feb. 27th Flyer Spanish (PDF)
Youth Basketball Registration (PDF)
Youth Basketball Registration Flyer Espanol (PDF)
1810 E. 22nd St.
National City, CA 91950
Welcome to the homepage of the City's Community Services Department. Our office is located in the Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Center, Suite B, 140 East 12th Street.
We pride ourselves in providing high quality facilities, services and cost effective programs which enhance the quality of life and encourage healthy living for community residents. Our mission is to provide excellent customer service and planning for the City's open space and facilities and celebrate the community's diversity through social, cultural, and civic activities for youth, adults, and senior citizens. The Community Services Department consists of Recreation, Senior Services, Neighborhood Councils, Nutrition, and Cultural Arts.
Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Center
Suite B, 140 East 12th Street
National City, CA. 91950-4301